The Gamers Handbook

A place to find information in the form of guides about various games that I play
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cloey's Guide to Warrior Swarming v3.7

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CloeyNicole
Leader
Leader

PostSubject: Cloey's Guide to Warrior Swarming v3.7   Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Contrary to popular opinion, warriors can indeed swarm.

Swarming, by definition is the mass pulling of 20 or more mobs... Anything below that is just mass pulling... But who uses that phrase on a regular basis? When you say swarming, people know what you're talking about...

Lets get down to business because there is a lot to cover in this guide, this is a new and improved version 3.7 of my previous swarming guides for warriors and is now tailored to lvl 105 or below...

Rest assured that anything written is how I do things and have been tested and work 100%. Keep in mind that this is just my way and should not be taken as being the only way to do things. I cannot stress enough, do what you want to do, try different ways and find new strategies that work for you.

Disciplines and AA's Required For Swarming

Here is a list that is based on level... I will be using the ones that are at my level throughout this guide but I'm putting this here for those who are lower level...

Area Taunt:
This AA is crucial and should be saved for emergencies when our fast AE taunt is down or lost its agro due to improper use... This AA has a slow reuse time but generates a LOT of agro, so you will want to use it only when you absolutely need it...

Stormwheel Blades Rk. II - level 99:
This disc does melee damage to all nearby enemies as well as an area effect taunt and has a fast reuse time... Here are some of the lower level versions of this disc that do the same thing... Cyclonic Blades Rk. II - level 94, Wheeling Blades Rk. II - level 89, Maelstrom Blade Rk. II - level 84, Cyclone Blade - level 69... The level 100+ upgrade is called Stormstrike Blades...

Rage of Rallos Zek:
This AA makes the warrior proc his weapon with every swing for 19 seconds... It can be acquired at level 85...

Furious:
This is a discipline that makes the warrior riposte every incoming blow for 12 seconds... During this 12 seconds it is very likely that the mobs will not hit you but they will still take riposte damage... NOTE: You can be hit while using this, it just doesn't happen often... It can be acquired at level 56...

Rampage:
This AA does a melee attack to all nearby enemies, and the higher the rank, the more damage it does and higher range as well...

Final Stand Rk. II:
Reduces physical damage that you take for a short time... Best used in swarming when you pull more mobs than you wanted to (raiding aside)... 1 to 2 extra mobs can be added to the swarm when using this... This disc can be acquired at level 72... The upgrade to this is called "Last Stand" and can be acquired at level 98...

Flash of Anger Rk. II:
This disc parries every incoming blow for a few seconds and should be used for emergencies only as it shares a timer with some of our AC boosting discs... It can be acquired at level 87...

Fortitude:
This disc basically renders you invulnerable from attacks for a short time and should be used for emergency situations primarily as it has a rather timely reuse time... It can be acquired at lvl 59...

Champion's Aura:
This is an AC buff that acts as an aura in your songs window... It says it is permanent but usually wears off after 72 mins or so... It effects your whole group and it can be acquired at level 70... There is a lower level version of this called Myrmidon's Aura as well at level 55...

Field Guardian Rk. II:
Group AC buff that lasts for 38 seconds and has no reuse time meaning you can always keep it up during battle... Shares a timer with Flash of Anger and can be acquired at level 100... Lower level versions are Field Defender Rk. II at level 95, Field Outfitter Rk. II at level 90, and Field Armorer at level 85... These skills eat up endurance also but come in very handy at times... Please note that the 38 second duration is just the starting duration, and that you can pump AA's into this line of discs to increase its duration up to 10 minutes eventually... The level 100+ upgrade to this is called "Field Protector"...

Steadfast Defense Rk. II:
This disc adds AC for a short time and can be acquired at level 100... Lower level versions are Stalwart Defense Rk. II at level 95 and Staunch Defense Rk. II at level 90... The level 100+ upgrade to this is called "Stout Defense"...

If you do not have any of the "Blade" line of discs or the Area Taunt AA's, do not attempt swarming! While it can be done, it will be very very hard and you will more than likely fail without being able to keep each mob on you...

Mercenary Control

That's right, it does exist! 90% of EQ players do not realize that merc control does indeed exist and will blame their merc for their own screw ups or negligence... Merc control is comprised of 3 factors which are as follows...

Stance Manipulation
Blocked Buffs
Blocked Pet Buffs

When learning how to effectively control your merc, it is important to 1st have an understanding of your merc and how it behaves... This is where we get into "Stance Manipulation"...

Mercenary Stance Manipulating

Movement is our 1st thing... When a merc is on passive and you are running, it will run with you as we all know... When you are pulling and are not set as the puller in group, your merc will follow and keep up as long as it is on passive, however, if your merc is on any other stance, you will notice that while you have agro, the merc will be walking rather than running... Depending on the size of your pull, this can be bad at times and most people will be blaming the merc for being stupid... Turn that merc to passive during pulling! Then turn it back on when you reach your camp spot and this situation can and will be avoided...

Stance manipulation doesn't end there though... There are times when a merc will get stuck, will not heal right away when expected, or sometimes not at all... This is a good time to switch between balanced, passive, and reactive as doing this will essentially reset your merc and give it a kick in the butt saying "do your job"! And it will if you are quick about it... Mercs do sometimes glitch like that... Play around with your stances in different situations to see how it reacts... I recommend using the balanced stance primarily as reactive is intended to be used more for emergency situations... Efficient is good when the merc is not the primary healer and mana needs to be saved...

Having trouble with a merc running away when you pull a big train? Never fear, Cloey is here! Put that merc on passive during the pull and switch it back on as soon as the train stops running and your merc will not run away, instead, it will stay and start healing immediately... Timing on this is everything, if not timed perfectly, the merc will still run away...

I once said that "I have never had this issue with a J5 merc". But I finally got so crazy with a swarm after forgetting to put my merc on passive, that I made a J5 run away, resulting in the use of one of my instant gate clickies. Use my mistake as a learning tool!!

Mercenary Spell Blocking

This is a warrior swarmers lifeline right here... Without the right spells blocked, chances are you're gonna die when swarming, and those chances are very high...

Swarming for us warriors depends on fast heals due to the amount of hits coming our way... So all promised heals and heal over time spells need to be blocked as they not only suck a mercs mana, but also take time to heal... And time is not a luxury we have when swarming...

Here is a list of heals that should be blocked as they become available to your merc...

Promised Reformation
Promised Resurgence
Promised Restitution
Complete Heal
Elixir of the Beneficent Rk. II
Reverent Elixir
Elixir of the Ardent
Zealous Elixir
Elixir of the Acquittal
And so on, there are just too many to list, but you get the jist... Promised heals and heal over time spells = bad for swarming...

With all of these spells blocked, your merc will use FAR less mana in any situation, and you will notice that your HP drops below 50% a LOT less often than before you blocked these... This is what makes swarming possible as well as just normal soloing or grouping... Fast heals cost less mana for the merc to cast and are more reliable in emergency situations... This helps for any class, not just warriors...

Now, in your "Blocked Pet Buffs" window, it is not recommended to block promised heals and elixirs as whatever is blocked in this window will effect what the merc casts on itself... However, some of the old school heals have long casting times and heal for very little, such as Complete Heal... I recommend blocking Complete Heal and the catalyst line (Fourteenth Catalyst for example) in the blocked pet buffs window as they are both timely and suck mana for very low heals... If the merc gets hit during a swarm it is best to let it throw a promised heal on itself and get back to healing you as quick as possible...

For necro's and mage's, blocking promised heals and elixirs on the blocked pet buffs window will serve the same purpose and help keep your pets alive better (as if you need the help lol)...

The Art of Swarming

So with merc control in mind and a knowledge of which AA's and discs are required for swarming, now comes the fun! I must recommend before attempting to swarm that you have your defensive aa's maxed for your level... Use your best DPS weapon! Lets get started...

Pulling

When pulling your swarm it is best to be set to puller that way you don't forget to turn your merc on and off... But if you are NOT set as puller, you will need to have your merc on passive during the pull and switch to balanced when you reach the pull spot or camp...

Another thing to keep in mind if you pull with your merc on balanced and you're not set as the group puller, the merc is going to heal you during the pull if u get hit. In doing so, it will take agro from your pull before you reach camp... So there is yet another reason to either be set as puller so your merc doesn't follow you, or put the merc on passive during the pull...

Some mobs summon, so during a pull, if you riposte as you run by and that riposte does 3% damage to the mob, you're gonna get summoned over and over and probably not make it back to camp... To avoid this, have a bandolier slot for pulling, equip something in your primary hand that does NOT have any damage on it, such as the crescent reach portal clicky that you can "claim" if you haven't already, and obviously your shield cannot riposte in offhand... This will avoid riposting during pulling and you won't get summoned... Keep in mind that DS's (damage shields) can have the same effect... So try to get good at pulling without being hit much...

I recommend starting out with a swarm of 3 or 4 to get a feel for how much you can handle and move up from there... Be sure to take quads into account! If your HP is bouncing up and down as low as 40% on a swarm without using a defensive disc, chances are you can handle 1 more mob but don't go any higher! If 1 or more of those mobs quad on you before that heal goes off, you're dead... So scale yourself and see what you can handle safely... More mobs in a swarm is fun and impressive, but not always the safest or most practical way to go because you will most likely burn through endurance while your merc burns thru mana... Keep your swarms to a safe amount and you will be able to keep pulling over and over without med time, assuming you have the spells listed above all blocked... Eventually you'll have to med endurance, but not very often and you should never have to med the merc... Yes, I said never, as long as you pull smart...

Agro

Once you have pulled a swarm, assuming your merc is on balanced and not passive, the very 1st thing you need to do when the swarm reaches you is hit your Stormwheel Blades disc to grab all of their agro... Do this before the merc lands it's 1st heal on you and it will not take agro... If you hit stormwheel blades before turning the merc on balanced from passive, your merc will sometimes take agro so make sure the merc is on 1st, then hit the blades before it heals and you'll be fine...

After that, your stormwheel blades has a short reuse time to wait for and sometimes 1 or 2 mobs will agro your merc before it's available to use again, this is when you switch targets and use some of your individual taunt skills such as blast of anger, bazu, etc..

Once you've used blades at least twice, you should have no problems after that, just use it as it repops each time for the entire fight... When solid agro is achieved, it's all killing and using fast reuse attacks from there such as bash, shield topple disc, knee strike aa, gut punch aa, and banestrike if you have it... It is common practice to target the lowest HP mob after the one you're on dies, if possible...

Please check out my Hotkeys & Burns guide for a nice burn hotkey that I use for swarming...

Mobs That Cast and/or Gate

Sometimes you will encounter mobs that are caster classes when swarming. While it is not a deadly situation for you, it can be very annoying, especially when they decide to gate at low health. Mobs that gate will do so somewhere in the general vicinity of 17% HP, and will auto heal to 31% or so after they gate. And if it is a mob that summons, it's going to summon you after it gates and the rest of the swarm will likely summon you back. Get how that works? It can be very annoying and get you all turned around and disoriented.

Us warriors only have a couple of options for "possibly" avoiding this. Kick or Slam is one option because they stun sometimes. Another option is our "Throat Jab" disc, which has a chance to interrupt casting. This is why I say "possibly" because either option isn't guaranteed to work every time. Unfortunately, we as warriors, do not have a 100% guaranteed way of interrupting gate when a mob casts it.

However, there is a 100% way to avoid gating mobs. Don't pull them! lol... Stick to mobs that melee and you will not have this problem. Keep in mind that not all caster mobs can gate. You just have to learn which mobs are the best to pull.

Conclusion

Warrior swarming is one of the funnest and most appealing things to me personally when it comes to the warrior class, simply because warrior swarming is virtually unheard of and even believed to not be possible by some... But I am living proof that it can be done and I have won bets over it on numerous occasions by non-believers... As my final recommendation to you in this guide, stick to light blue cons! Test yourself and see what you can and cannot accomplish, and most importantly, have fun doing it! Or why else play if it's not fun! The more you practice, the better you will get, and always remember to interrupt mobs that gate at low health...

Below is a link to my video which shows you a warrior swarm as described in this guide!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enjoy!

Trina Danger - Level 175 Sorcery of USPC in DC Universe Online
"Know more than you show, speak less than you know"

Last edited by CloeyNicole on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down

Cloey's Guide to Warrior Swarming v3.7
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Gamers Handbook :: Everquest Warrior & Cleric Class Forums :: Information About Warriors-
Jump to: